Monday, July 8, 2013

Fishing For Common Ground

One of my husbands favorite pastimes is fishing. The patience he has to stand on a bank for hours with hopes of catching something is beyond my comprehension. Nonetheless, I've been working on taking an interest in his hobbies. (And dang he has a few! As my friends and family can attest to.) The reason being, that in the past few months I realized how much I really wanted him to be interested in the things I enjoy doing for fun. I thought maybe if I was interested in his hobbies, it would make him as happy as it would have made me.  And in a more selfish sense, maybe one day he'd be willing to invest a little more time doing what I love. So I gave it a whirl and decided to ask him to go fishing one Monday night after he got home from work. (He usually has to beg me go.) He was stoked! And now it's become a Monday night ritual to meet my brother and his girlfriend for some after work fishing at some ponds not too far from home.  It works perfectly because I am able to get out of the house and my hubby gets to do what he loves once a week! Funny thing is, I'm starting to enjoy it. Will I ever have the stamina to fish for countless hours on end in my free time? Probably not, but we'll leave it at "to be determined." After all, I married into a fishing family, I might as well enjoy the ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment