Friday, July 19, 2013

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Why do I feel so alone when my husband's out of town? I'm not exactly by myself while he's gone. I have our son and our brittany spaniel to keep me company (and busy), and I can see friends and family during the day. But despite the company they provide, there's a special connection between spouses that can't be fulfilled by anyone else. He's my best friend, my support, my parter, my joy, my vocation, my true love and my son's father. Without him coming home after work, the day seems to blur into a never ending time continuum. Ok that may be dramatic, but taking care of an 8 month old all by yourself for 24 hours and on can be a tedious task that could drive even the sanest of minds a little crazy.  Of course I love staying home with him, but a big part of that lifestyle is being able to cook my husband his meals, welcome him home and help him take a load off.   And in turn, he is able to help me by simply playing with our son while I get a few things done and also delighting me with a little adult conversation.  Our family dynamic and rituals are so precious to me and give me such a sense of wholeness and joy, so I guess it's only natural that things feel off-balanced when he's not around for a few days. In a way I'm glad to have him go away, so I can remind myself how good and complete my life is when he is home. 




2 comments:

  1. I totally feel similarly when Garreth goes out of town :(
    No fun! Nice blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Are you going to start your food blog soon?

      Delete