Thursday, June 27, 2013

Simple Adventures

I'm a stay at home mom, so I don't get the typical daily sense of accomplishment that comes along with working outside the home. For me it usually comes down to the small, yet measurable things that give that feeling of satisfaction. I try to do things that I enjoy that can also be viewed as useful.  I like to bake and try to make new recipes, sew (somewhat poorly), cook, and work in the yard. They all sound pretty house-wifey when you write them out... But! Anything can be turned into an adventure depending on the attitude you have going into it. In fact life is one big adventure, but that can be easy to forget when you're stuck home doing laundry all day.  When I successfully bake something delicious or sew something cute for my Davey I can't help but feel a little pride in a job well done. Of course everyday I take pride in raising such a cool little guy, but it's a constant work in progress and sometimes it's not easy to notice results of all the work put in. Therefore I find it very important to my mental health/sanity and self-esteem to congratulate myself on accomplishments, no matter how insignificant they seem.  This is a practice that I plan to pass down to my son and future children, to hopefully prepare them for a big world that can often make you feel small. In time I believe the pride achieved through accomplishing something small will transfer to a craving to accomplish something great. As great things most often start out small, I'll hope for successful futures for my kids. (And maybe myself too.) In the meantime I'll dream of my blog turning into someday writing a best seller, and keep baking pumpkin cookies and sewing cutsey bibs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment