Sunday, June 23, 2013

A Little Garden, a Lot of Life

After talking about it for months, we finally decided today was the day we would put in our garden. After all, it is pumpkin planting season! There's something about gardening that reminds me so much of my childhood. Everything is fresh and the weather is amazing, but it is also really special to me because it was something our family did together outside.  We never went on walks or bike rides all together, but we could all find something to do in the backyard. It helps that we had a pretty sweet backyard; we had gardens, a basketball hoop, a deck, a patio, a swing set, and plenty of green grass to run in. As an adult, I'm looking forward to having our backyard/garden bring my family together to spend time outdoors. At this point most of our family time includes watching TV or a trip to the store, or a walk all together if I'm lucky. And it makes me nervous. I'm afraid that my terrible TV watching habits will be passed down to my kids. I don't want them to have the burden of TV addiction like I do, that feeling that I have to turn it on whether I'm watching it or not. Darn you Netflix! Now there's no limit to how many times I can watch The Office. (And trust me, that's dangerous.) Even so, I'm trying to find more things that get my family out of the house and moving, living, breathing, and experiencing life beyond the great box on the wall. We live in such a beautiful state and it seems a pity to waste our lives watching other places on TV. So I guess a garden can be a lot of work, and I know it definitely will be initially, but what's so wrong with a little work? Am I worried I'll get too much exercise?  I've found it best to stop thinking about how much work or effort something might entail and just act. If I can just find that motivation to get up and do something worth doing, I find I don't need my TV to keep me company. And who would, when I have the best company in the world: my family. 











No comments:

Post a Comment