Friday, June 21, 2013

Prepping Vs. Planning

      When I got married there were so many details to keep track of I thought my wedding would take years to plan.  Luckily, my mom is an ace party planner and quickly took control of tracking all the craziness. But even with my mom as my wedding planner I still felt the stress of making a memorable wedding day. That's where my husband came in. (Well fiance at the time.). He reminded me that the wedding is not what is important, but the marriage.  Ah what a concept! But somehow the idea of putting more work into your marriage preparation than your wedding planning is an idea that seems to be lost today, and let's face it, it sounds a lot less fun. So is this why the two priorities have gotten flip-flopped?  Weddings have become dazzling productions, instead of a true reflection of the couples love and commitment to each other before God.  I do understand anticipating the perfect day, but I also truly believe that if you want to succeed in any venture in your life, it makes good sense to prepare for it.  Having confidence in your future marriage makes the rest of the wedding details become less and less important.  In my case, the preparation we recieved from a counselor at our church left me equipped to put stress behind me every time something didn't go according to plan.  I was able to remind myself how unimportant the little things are, and thank God for giving me such a wonderful husband. A husband clever enough to use his lack of interest in wedding planning to benefit us both.

No comments:

Post a Comment